The Dangers of Mold & Structural Damage
YES, Mold Can Cause Structural Damage to your Home!
Many homes across the United States have mold issues. One of the problems with mold is that it doesn't always appear where you can see it. Without having visible signs of mold present, homeowners often must wait until they smell the mold spores, and by then, the problem is much greater, and more difficult to control. If mold is present, it is a sign of higher-than-acceptable levels of humidity. Both mold and humidity can affect the interior of any home, leading to wood beams rotting, deterioration of drywall, peeling of wallpapers and borders, and many other issues within your home.
Which Homes Can Have Mold?
When you can smell the musty odor of mold in your home, mold damage has been able to strike the interior of your home for a while. Mold grows within 48 hours of water meeting mold spores that pre-exist in your home. A 2003 study by the University of Arizona discovered that 100 percent of the homes tested had at least one strain of mold spores present in the interior. Some homes had more than one type of mold spores present. Where these spores are located at in your home is usually unknown, until they become a problem by beginning to grow, and soon becoming visible.
Why You Should Keep Mold Growth to a Minimum
Mold can cause adverse health effects in people, and so can high humidity level. If a home is hot and humid, pre-existing breathing problems can be worse. If a home is cool and damp, the same is true, but you may feel cold and clammy. Both are detrimental to your home's health, as both are excellent environments for mold to grow rapidly. Using a dehumidifier can keep humidity levels to a reasonable level. Fixing leaks throughout the home is also another way to control humidity and mold growth.
How We Can Help You
Our professionals are trained in determining not only how much mold is present in your home, and where any growths are located at, but also where water may be coming from. Water can enter your living space through problematic water lines, or from external sources, such as rainwater that has entered in through a crack or crevice in your home's exterior. We have technology that allows us to see inside your home's structure, so we can see where humidity has collected.
Once we know where the water source is, we can fix the problem. Then we can begin to dehumidify your home with our commercial-grade equipment. Then we will inspect for the damage that mold can cause and explain to you the best course of action for your particular situation. We have the training and experience, alongside the latest equipment and current IICRC certifications, to help make it, “Like it never even happened.”
You can reach our trained remediation professionals by calling SERVPRO of Loudoun County 24/7 at 703-450-4504!